25 March 2010

Chris Ofili at Tate Britain


Balls of elephant dung. Not your first choice of things to place on a canvas maybe. But why not? My taste in art is varied and wide, like most people. I first saw Chris Ofili at Sensation in 1997 just before he won the Turner Prize. His paintings are intensely rich, colourful and vibrant. Like some of my staples, Mark Rothko and Jackson Pollack, he uses differing forms of media to layer his work. Art is often vibrant and uplifting, but I also think it can be beautiful when it's moody and in your face. Especially when it captures moments in time, something that Tracey Emin often does in a way I love.

Anyway, I'm off to see the new Chris Ofili exhibition at Tate Britain next weekend. Can't wait.

Above image © Chris Ofili

No comments:

Post a Comment