21 October 2010

Illustration Class 101



Here's an illustration I've been working on as apart of the CSM course. It's from a newspaper article (last Saturday's individual project) about how eating fruit, mainly apples, and studying helps fight off dementia. Then it's a case of taking our ideas, drawings, scanning them, create various backgrounds, and use layers within Photoshop to get the finished illustration. This is my take. 

The first is my rough idea sketch (the one I had to get initially approved as you would with a newspaper) and the second is where I'm currently at in Photoshop. I need to add the extra drawn scans for the speech bubble and apple = 2+2 and work on them. But I'm happy with the progress. Working in layers and having the ability to change, adapt an idea is making my ideas/illustrations more three dimensional.

I'm also really enjoying the course. My drawing/painting style is definitely working for me. The guest illustrators are inspiring, offering advice and real life illustration work. Exactly what I was hoping to get out of the course. It's also cool to be in a space with other wanna-be-illustrators, seeing their style and sharing ideas. Sounds a bit wanky I know, but there you go. Next step is to look at getting a scanner.

1 comment:

  1. Looks fab already, and I do like the hair parting on the right rather than the left :)

    ReplyDelete